:)

:)

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Of Licences, lessons, and laws: the lost wallet

From the diary of Sister Christen Stanford, November 25, '14:

"I had a feeling this morning. It was a hopeful feeling, almost a feeling of liberation. So it is when you finally realize that no matter what happens, the Lord has His hands in it, and that you trust your life in them. I realized this week that it didn't matter when my license came. That come what may, there is always joy to be found in life."

Before my mission I worked as a truck driver, and I loved it. I loved to drive, and that was what I did, all day, six days a week. If I wasn't driving a truck, pulling one or two trailers and 40 tonnes of product, I was driving my car, and it didn't matter where I was going, it just mattered that I was driving. In the MTC (Missionary Training Center), I had no need to drive and didn't do so for 6 weeks. It goes without saying that I was thrilled when my mission president gave me permission to drive right away.
About 3 months into my mission, I lost my wallet. I left it in a restaurant, and when I called back later, they told me that it was not there. And so I was licence-less. I got back all my other important things like bank cards and the like, but because I am a Canadian living in the United States, getting a replacement license was a little bit more of an ordeal. Let me tell you, getting to know the area you are serving in is quite difficult without driving in it. For 5 months, my companions were the only ones who could drive and it killed me. I can't explain to you how hard it was for me, and quite frankly I don't have the time to. I wanted to share with you a couple of things that I learned from my time as a permanent passenger.

Language note: I thought I was pretty clever coming up with three words that described what I was talking writing about today that started with the same letter... Imagine how clever I felt when I went to translate it and the words still started with the same letter.

1 comment: